Thursday 1 March 2007

World Book Day


It’s World Book Day – so what a great excuse to leave all the chores and spend time reading.

Was interested in the results of the World Book Day poll – people were asked to name their top ten books that they could not live without. An odd criterion – not the greatest literature ever read, nor the books with most impact on our lives.

So here are my top ten books that I would always want to have on my bookshelves: (not in any particular order)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Atonement by Ian McEwan
The Radiant Way (trilogy) by Margaret Drabble
Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd
The Quiet American by Graham Greene

OK, that’s eleven but it’s my blog so I can do what I want! If I made this list in a week or a month’s time I am sure it would be different. All very subjective.

1 comment:

The Stories I Could Tell...... said...

an interesting list and I would agree with most of the choices, but:
I do not think 'The Quiet American'is anywhere near as good as 'The power and the Glory'.
I am suprised at the omission of Joyces'Ulysees'. I am even more surprised by the omission of, 'If You See Sweet Almonds'.